Skip to main content

We are our Mother's Daughters


Ah, moms. You love em', you hate em', but no matter what you do, you eventually turn into them.
I'm not saying this as a curse or death sentence. I am presenting this as a celebration.


I lost my mom at the age of 25. She was 50, and the significance of me being exactly half her age does not elude me.

My Beautiful Mom at age 25

She never met my husband, and she never met her grandson. I argued with the universe about what was fair and what I felt I deserved. Just so you know, 
the universe never argues back.

About four years ago, when my son was just a wee babe, strange occurrences kept happening. I began accidentally breaking every gift my mother had given me. They were all silly little things but full of magical memories. The toothbrush holder she made in pottery class, the glass sculpture she gave me when I graduated high school, planters, and jewelry all broke in my hands.

I sat and sobbed over every shattered remnant. I cried ugly, dramatic, child tears. One time my son witnessed this breakdown and asked in his sweet little voice,

"Mommy, why are you crying?"
Of course, this made me want to bawl and wail,
"I miss my MOMMY!" but somehow, I was able to pull my shit together.
"This was a gift from my Mommy, and now it is broken."
Looking at his little face back at me, it hit me.

My son knows nothing of my mother. My husband knows nothing of my mother. In the 19 years of mourning, I felt that these items were all that was left. But something about their destruction woke my ass up. My mother's memory was bursting to be shared. In my loss, I had selfishly locked the gift of family away in these items.

So I began to tell stories about my mother.

The time I came home with purple hair, and she exclaimed, "Oh, look how creative you are!"
When boys teased me at school for having buck teeth and a huge honker of a nose, how she stated, "You're Italian! You have classic beauty kids don't understand, and you will grow into your nose." All the times she pushed me to do my absolute best. She made me feel like I could tackle anything. The more stories I told, the more I felt her with me, and I realized how similar we are. 

I am now 44, and my son is 8.

My mother is weaved into our lives. I am the woman I am because of her. Instead of missing her presence, I see her every day through me. It is heartbreakingly beautiful.

I am proud to be my mother's daughter. She may have had her share of faults and hang-ups, but she was right about so many things. Because of her, I am strong, passionate, creative, adaptable.

And luckily, I did grow into my nose.


Coreen is certified in Integrative Nutrition and Functional Medicine Health Coaching.
She supports clients ranging from early childhood through adult.  
Coreen is trained in Bioresonance Technology and Integrative Response Testing (IRT) allowing her to connect to the root cause of ailments. She has a holistic, non-invasive approach, making healing more effective.


For more information on beginning a healing journey for you or your child go to
www.peasandcarrotswellness.com

To read more blogs like this go to
www.eatyourpeasandcarrots.com

You may connect with Coreen on Social Media at: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar

Written by: Chrisie Canny So, for those of you who know me and the fact that I met my husband in a bar in Brooklyn, you may be assuming what  Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar  is all about. And I am here (this time only) to tell you to get your minds out of the gutter. This is not a blog about the first time I had a drink in a bar…ha.., did you think I would say sex? Well…anyway… this is about the first time I finally let someone read my chapter in the Anthology Magnificently Made and very fittingly it happened in an Irish Bar, the old Irish Pub in AC to be exact. It’s also a story about the fear of being a writer and putting something out into the world for everyone to pick at and scrutinize. Let me go back over a year ago when my now publishers Jess and Jenn started posting on social media about how they had a dream of bringing 33 women together to write an Anthology. 33 women to share their journeys to help lift other women. Sounded like my cup of tea just by the description bu

That Time I...

That Time I Gave an Unexpected Performance… I remember feeling so cute on that picture-perfect summer day as I pulled on my red ‘skinny’ jeans and white button-down. I tied the outfit together with some darling turquoise jewelry pieces and matching heels. Girl, I was ready for some shopping! Perfect for Downtown Shopping!  My 11-year-old daughter and I set out leisurely, perusing the many stores along Steamboat’s historic Main Street; it felt magical. And it continued to be magical right up until my gorgeous Jessica Simpson heels met with a stray orange peel. I mean, I’d seen cartoon characters slip on banana peels before, but an orange peel? Who knew? And slip I did. Right down into a complete split (I was pretty flexible back then)! The slip/split successfully ripped my sexy red skinny jeans entirely from ass to crotch, dislodging one of my Jessica Simpsons and twisting my ankle in the process. Let me tell ya. It was beautiful! After a moment of shock, I looked up — only to see my da
I love the holidays! Turning the calendar page over to November fills my heart with love, thankfulness and excitement for the season ahead.The holidays are traditionally a time to express gratitude to those we love as we gather over a Thanksgiving meal and make shopping lists of people we want to remember with a card or gift of appreciation. This holiday spirit of thankfulness is the spirit I’ve tried to carry through my cancer journey every day of the year. When life is ugly, dark, painful and bleak, finding gratitude in the simplest things snaps me out of the dull drums replacing sadness with hope, positivity and healing. During cancer, I spent many days sitting on my patio in the early morning hours, in my pj’s, when the world was still, meditating, watching the sunrise, listening to the song of birds, watching the clouds, listening to the wind, looking at the flowers in my garden and reciting self-created personal affirmations. Not only did I enjoy nature but felt gratitude for my