Skip to main content

Getting Physically Ready For Your Mastectomy



You’ve made the decision to get rid of the girls, bravo! This is a huge, life-altering decision. Now that you’re on your way to taking back control of your life, it’s time to prepare your body for surgery. Whether you’re an avid athlete or just starting out, I’ll be going over how getting those muscles primed and prepped, will help make recovery from major surgery that much easier.

When I met with both my Plastic Surgeon and Surgical Oncologist, my first question to them was “What can I do to prepare physically for surgery?”, but I didn’t like their answer of “nothing”. How can there be nothing I can do to help make this surgery go easier for me? That seems like such a bland, roll over and surrender answer; and I’m not the type of girl to not put up a fight. I mean hello, I just came out of my battle against chemo and won!

I took matters into my own hands and started to do some research on physical therapy after a mastectomy and applied it to my fitness routine before surgery. Once you have your mastectomy your arm and chest strength will be at their weakest point that you will probably ever experience. In order to help minimize muscle atrophy (the loss of muscle tissue), you can prepare these parts of your body before going under the knife.

Cardio – Abs – Upper Body; these three areas are the main focus of all my pre-op workouts. Cardio to help keep my heart strong; Abs to help aid in lifting myself up when I can’t use my arms to pull or push myself up; Upper Body to help keep muscle atrophy as minimal as possible. Now, this is not to say that you should be skipping leg day. You should still be doing a full-body style approach, I just spend a little extra time on these specific areas to give them a little more TLC.

I’m an avid athlete and fitness “enthusiast”, but by no means do I have any formal education in personal training or physical therapy. I’ve been working out and playing sports all my life, so I usually just “wing it” when I’m in gym mode. So what exercises can one do that can help these focus areas?

I default to the experts over at the Sweat Factor when I need some extra help in coming up with a new routine, or even when I need help on making modifications to exercises I already know of. You can choose different styles of workouts led by the world’s top trainers, and boy will it make you work up a sweat. Having just come out of 5 months of dense dose chemo treatments, my body was in total shock with each workout I completed. I missed that feeling of my arms burning so bad I thought they’d fall off or not being able to sit down because my legs were so sore.

Some of my favorite workouts I use when I’m just “winging it” can be found on my Pinterest boards if you don’t want to sign up for a membership. Always remember that whatever style of workout you choose, make sure you stay hydrated and stretch!

~Rori Zura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Unless..”

  One of my favorite quotes comes from a simple children’s book. In Dr. Suess’ “The Lorax,” he says, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” This quote runs in my head as a constant life theme. I have a bit of a “save the world” complex, but as my students love to remind me, “Miss, the world is broken. There’s nothing we can do.” YIKES! That sounds pretty despairing.  Then I go back to  The Lorax  quote; if we all felt the world was beyond saving, it would be. Minor changes, little effort, and even the smallest steps are still going in the right direction. So, I am here to tell you how one average lady from Brooklyn is attempting to save the world.  In 2011 I had an idea to start a social fundraising initiative called  The Hero’s Benefit,  or THB as I so lovingly refer to it.  THB  was meant to be a response to the Extortion 17 crash, which killed 31 American Service Members and left 32 chi...

Life is Short, Lick the Spoon and Laugh...a Lot!

Christmas is almost here! I’m so excited! I absolutely love Christmas and everything about it. I do admit it comes with some stress like gift buying, wrapping, cooking, decorating, bills, work, parties...goodness, I stressed myself out just writing all that! This year I am having a stress-free Christmas. Y’all know I’m on a health and fitness journey and that is stressful enough without adding in the holidays. I have a spoon rest in the kitchen given to me by future daughter in law that says “Life is short, Lick the Spoon.” I’m going to live that this year. I’m not even going to pretend to eat healthy this week. I am going to unashamedly enjoy every single bite of holiday spirit I can shove in my mouth. It’s okay to do that, next week I’ll crawl out of my carb coma and get back to business. My mom is making my most favorite cake of all time: homemade red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting . I absolute refuse to eat red velvet cake from any shop, store and heaven forbid, a mix...

Why I Say Yes Without even Thinking

I hate this picture. And it’s not the fact that my hair is a mess and that I hadn’t learned about the magic of mascara. It’s that it reminds me of the night I said no to my Father. I said no to another dance at the Father-Daughter Dance. I hadn’t thought about this picture in about 18 years. And it’s been 18 years since my Dad passed away from cancer. It used to sit in his home. The photo got packed up in the move when my stepmom sold the house and then moved into storage and then given to my sister with a bunch of items, and then it sat in my sister’s closet for I don’t know how long….you get it...it’s been in hiding. During my sister’s Covid cleanup, this photo came back into my life. I unpacked the bag from my sister, unwrapped the photo, and found myself overcome with emotion and tears and sobbed and sobbed. Now as I said, Norman died 18 years ago, 18 years ago today to be exact. It’s amazing how in just one second, the emotion of losing a parent can come flooding back like it was ...