Skip to main content

The Magic of a Mastectomy Chest Pillow



I am asked, from time to time, do I need a mastectomy chest pillow? I answer with all my strength YES!!!!!! But why should I buy this type of pillow, and not a heart pillow, or even no pillow at all? Doesn’t the hospital send me home with what I need? Even if the hospital sends you home with a small square pillow, you need more. Let me explain why.

There are other options out there, like a little heart shaped pillow, a free hospital pillow, or a little cushion for your seatbelt. These options are a lot less expensive, but do they help you after a mastectomy? It is true they can help in some very small, limited way. Like a heart pillow for instance, it is designed to fit under your arm and relive some of the pain from that area after surgery. The issue I have with those pillows, is that they provide no support to your chest area, the most important place to protect after your surgery. They fall out constantly, and they are actually a little too bulky for what is best after mastectomy.  And they don’t actually protect your chest! I won’t waste any of your time talking about any other small pillow, like a seatbelt cover style, because the value is minimal. 

So now let's get into the Mastectomy Chest Pillow, and all of its benefits. The first area and most important, is what I call the Shield. This is the front/center of the pillow. It is stuffed with just the right amount of filling so that it is not too firm. It says soft and playable so that it curves around any surgery area bandaging or drains. It protects your chest from the seatbelt on the ride home. It also protects your surgery area from any accidental bumps during the healing process. Young children could accidentally bump you, or small animals could try to jump up on you like they usually do, not realizing this will hurt! Using the pillow will eliminate that issue for you. 

The Wings are the next section of the chest pillow I would like to explain in detail. Not only do they keep your pillow in place, they also will help keep you sleeping on your back. It is designed to help you not roll over in your sleep. They also keep your arms slightly elevated. This is a great help if you have lympodemia. It is also a benefit to keep your arms from bumping your drain site. 

The U shapes are designed to help with that dreaded underarm pain. Even if you don’t have lymph nodes removed, after a breast surgery like a mastectomy the underarm pain can be a little shocking. Its pretty bad. The soft pressure of the Mastectomy Chest Pillow eases that pain quite a bit. 

 

Once you get your pillow in place after surgery, you will fully understand the benefits of it. Here is what a few women have said about their pillow…

"Leslie, My friend texted me an immediate post op pic of herself with her pillow; a pic the next day in bed; a pic with the pillow under her seat belt; and finally, today at our visit, she told me that it's the best thing ever! She said that it is the first thing she reaches for, and the last thing she hands to someone as she gets out of the chair! She loves it!!! It makes me so very happy to have found your shop! The pillow was the absolute perfect gift; useful, beautiful, comforting, and made with caring!”

“Hi Leslie! I was finally able to give my mom her pillow today and she was in tears, well she actually had us all in tears! She hadn’t been able to sleep or get comfortable for the last couple of days (after her procedure) and as soon as she started using her pillow she couldn’t believe what a difference it made and said it was God sent and perfect in every way! We can not thank you enough!!”

“Hey Leslie, it's been 10 weeks since my surgery and I'm feeling better everyday thank God. I can't tell you how much your pillow has helped me. I still use it to go out and stay warm some days. I also just placed an order for my cousin's friend who will be having surgery soon. I believe every woman going through mastectomy surgery deserves one of your pillows.”

The owner of Pink Pepper Co, Leslie Notarianni, is a Breast Cancer warrior, turned survivor! She now makes items to help others through their fight with breast cancer, and to help comfortably from a mastectomy or breast other breast surgery. Each item is handmade in the USA. Each item has been tested through use by Leslie as well during her own treatment. "I sincerely hope it can provide some help and comfort to others through their treatment as well.” You can also follow her journey on Instagram @pinkpepperco

And please the website for Pink Pepper Co to purchase the breast cancer pillow and to see many other products designed to help women battling breast cancer: www.pinkpepperco.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar

Written by: Chrisie Canny So, for those of you who know me and the fact that I met my husband in a bar in Brooklyn, you may be assuming what  Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar  is all about. And I am here (this time only) to tell you to get your minds out of the gutter. This is not a blog about the first time I had a drink in a bar…ha.., did you think I would say sex? Well…anyway… this is about the first time I finally let someone read my chapter in the Anthology Magnificently Made and very fittingly it happened in an Irish Bar, the old Irish Pub in AC to be exact. It’s also a story about the fear of being a writer and putting something out into the world for everyone to pick at and scrutinize. Let me go back over a year ago when my now publishers Jess and Jenn started posting on social media about how they had a dream of bringing 33 women together to write an Anthology. 33 women to share their journeys to help lift other women. Sounded like my cup of tea just by the description bu

That Time I...

That Time I Gave an Unexpected Performance… I remember feeling so cute on that picture-perfect summer day as I pulled on my red ‘skinny’ jeans and white button-down. I tied the outfit together with some darling turquoise jewelry pieces and matching heels. Girl, I was ready for some shopping! Perfect for Downtown Shopping!  My 11-year-old daughter and I set out leisurely, perusing the many stores along Steamboat’s historic Main Street; it felt magical. And it continued to be magical right up until my gorgeous Jessica Simpson heels met with a stray orange peel. I mean, I’d seen cartoon characters slip on banana peels before, but an orange peel? Who knew? And slip I did. Right down into a complete split (I was pretty flexible back then)! The slip/split successfully ripped my sexy red skinny jeans entirely from ass to crotch, dislodging one of my Jessica Simpsons and twisting my ankle in the process. Let me tell ya. It was beautiful! After a moment of shock, I looked up — only to see my da
I love the holidays! Turning the calendar page over to November fills my heart with love, thankfulness and excitement for the season ahead.The holidays are traditionally a time to express gratitude to those we love as we gather over a Thanksgiving meal and make shopping lists of people we want to remember with a card or gift of appreciation. This holiday spirit of thankfulness is the spirit I’ve tried to carry through my cancer journey every day of the year. When life is ugly, dark, painful and bleak, finding gratitude in the simplest things snaps me out of the dull drums replacing sadness with hope, positivity and healing. During cancer, I spent many days sitting on my patio in the early morning hours, in my pj’s, when the world was still, meditating, watching the sunrise, listening to the song of birds, watching the clouds, listening to the wind, looking at the flowers in my garden and reciting self-created personal affirmations. Not only did I enjoy nature but felt gratitude for my