Skip to main content

The BOOB Chronicles

 


I have neglected to tell you all my results of my breast biopsy that was taken a few days after America’s Big Deal. How I went front being glamorous one night choosing fun outfits to choosing what to wear to meet with your doctor at Sloan to discuss your results..makeup? No makeup? Do I do my hair? Wear something cute? Something comfortable? 

There was just one thing I knew I would be wearing and that was my #fuckcancer bracelet. All these years of gifting cancer patients, people asking me why I do what I do, interviewing so many woman, raising money for different breast organizations, for saying it was for Norman and so many family members on this Friday the 17th I wore it to say #fuckcancer for myself!

On that day I was meeting with my breast surgeon to hear what kind of breast cancer I have and at what stage it is, what my options are and make a decision. I had already received a phone call in the middle of a Holiday party on Monday night and was told that I have at least DCIS. Talk about a kill joy. I came home to sit my sweet husband down and tell him my results. Strength is my super hero power in times of trouble. I did not shed a tear as weirdly enough I was relieved. 

9 years of dense breasts exams, mammograms, sonograms, ultrasounds, MRIs, being told there was something they were watching..well we finally caught it and its early. My diligence about going for my follow ups and staying on top of the girls paid off. (Yes ladies this is your reminder to go make that appt!)

Anyway..here it is. I have DCIS with microinvasion. Which means the bad cells are just making their way out of the ducts. DCIS is ductal cancer and is stage 0. My microinvasion takes it to a stage .5 or 1/2 ..not yet stage 1. I was told I can have a lumpectomy, 4 to 5 weeks of radiation 5 days a week and then go on tamoxifen for 5 years. The lumpectomy would leave me with 2/3 of my breast. My girls are small and that would be a big part of them. I love my cute little boobs. We have had a lot of fun all these years!

I know that I can handle this with such an amazing group of loved ones and friends. I am an annoyingly positive person and know that God has a plan, I know that everything I have done these past few years was to help me with my journey so that I was educated, that I was able to interview so many survivors to make the best decision for me knowing myself, my control issues and being a small business owner.

I also took into account my sister having a different type of cancer 15 years ago and every aunt and uncle having some type of cancer. I have decided to be very aggressive and will be moving forward with my decision to have a double mastectomy God willing with nipple and skin saving and have implants put in. By doing this I am cutting my risk of recurrence to 1 1/2-3%.

There are other options such as cutting some of the fat off my body and things like that but I want to heal as quickly as possible. The date for my surgery is 2/2/2022 and I am praying I will be a candidate to have this all done in one shot and lest just threat this like this girls getting new boobs for her 50th! 

I am in charge of cancer...cancer will not be in charge of me.

This decision is right for me as I have no doubt, I am so calm and so at peace with my decision. This may not be right for others and some may think I am crazy but i know I am not.
I share all this shit because I am so grateful for all the women who have opened up to me, have shared their choices and educated me. I SHARE because I want you to be in charge. DO NOT be afraid of getting your mammogram. I get to make these choices because I am in control!

I pray that this decision will spare me from any radiation or chemo and that I will not have to take any medication. It's looking that it may so I will keep praying it stays that way.

Please go make that appt!

Thank you for the love! My surgery date is 2/2/2022, and Vented in Brooklyn will be closed from 2/1/2022-1/16/2022. Some things are out of my control and I just have to accept it as controlling as I am! Love to you all!

~Chrisie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar

Written by: Chrisie Canny So, for those of you who know me and the fact that I met my husband in a bar in Brooklyn, you may be assuming what  Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar  is all about. And I am here (this time only) to tell you to get your minds out of the gutter. This is not a blog about the first time I had a drink in a bar…ha.., did you think I would say sex? Well…anyway… this is about the first time I finally let someone read my chapter in the Anthology Magnificently Made and very fittingly it happened in an Irish Bar, the old Irish Pub in AC to be exact. It’s also a story about the fear of being a writer and putting something out into the world for everyone to pick at and scrutinize. Let me go back over a year ago when my now publishers Jess and Jenn started posting on social media about how they had a dream of bringing 33 women together to write an Anthology. 33 women to share their journeys to help lift other women. Sounded like my cup of tea just by the description bu

That Time I...

That Time I Gave an Unexpected Performance… I remember feeling so cute on that picture-perfect summer day as I pulled on my red ‘skinny’ jeans and white button-down. I tied the outfit together with some darling turquoise jewelry pieces and matching heels. Girl, I was ready for some shopping! Perfect for Downtown Shopping!  My 11-year-old daughter and I set out leisurely, perusing the many stores along Steamboat’s historic Main Street; it felt magical. And it continued to be magical right up until my gorgeous Jessica Simpson heels met with a stray orange peel. I mean, I’d seen cartoon characters slip on banana peels before, but an orange peel? Who knew? And slip I did. Right down into a complete split (I was pretty flexible back then)! The slip/split successfully ripped my sexy red skinny jeans entirely from ass to crotch, dislodging one of my Jessica Simpsons and twisting my ankle in the process. Let me tell ya. It was beautiful! After a moment of shock, I looked up — only to see my da
I love the holidays! Turning the calendar page over to November fills my heart with love, thankfulness and excitement for the season ahead.The holidays are traditionally a time to express gratitude to those we love as we gather over a Thanksgiving meal and make shopping lists of people we want to remember with a card or gift of appreciation. This holiday spirit of thankfulness is the spirit I’ve tried to carry through my cancer journey every day of the year. When life is ugly, dark, painful and bleak, finding gratitude in the simplest things snaps me out of the dull drums replacing sadness with hope, positivity and healing. During cancer, I spent many days sitting on my patio in the early morning hours, in my pj’s, when the world was still, meditating, watching the sunrise, listening to the song of birds, watching the clouds, listening to the wind, looking at the flowers in my garden and reciting self-created personal affirmations. Not only did I enjoy nature but felt gratitude for my