Skip to main content

Combatting Cancer through Fitness


My name is Rori, and I currently live in New York with my amazing husband and 2 Frenchie furbabies. I'm 34 years old, an avid athlete pursuing a Personal Training certification, and I am currently battling Triple Negative Breast Cancer.

The mental game is just as important, if not more important than the physical, when it comes to cancer. Being able to stay active during treatment is just 1 component of how I've been able to put up a good fight against this disease. I believe that everything happens for a reason, & getting diagnosed with cancer showed me what I was meant to do in life: help other women fight their toughest battles.

Every woman undergoing a Breast Cancer battle will face challenges on how they feel about their body. Utilizing a mantra I began saying to myself helps remind me that my body has gone through hell and back: "Fake, Fit & Fabulous." Every woman should feel inspired & accomplished by what their body has been through. Be proud of yourself, your scars, your stretch marks. You are who you are today because of them.


I started a company called @foobsandfitness to show women that everyone's journey is different. We heal at our own pace. I believe that when you utilize fitness & stay active through treatment, you're better equipped at keeping your mind & body in a good state of health, rather than if you were sedentary.

Exercise is an important part of life and even more so during cancer treatment. Research shows that regular exercise can significantly improve physical and mental health during every phase of treatment. It's even shown to help lessen the side effects of chemotherapy treatment itself while also showing that it may help reduce the risk of recurrence.

If you were physically active before treatment, you might not be able to follow the same exercise routine as before, which can be extremely stressful. By approaching this as an obstacle to overcome instead of a "setback," you can start reshaping your mindset and outlook on life. Being an avid athlete who loved running, I needed to learn how to embrace other forms of exercise like yoga and meditation.

Resistance training is one of my favorite forms of exercise and is often suggested for patients to utilize during and after treatment because it can help maintain muscle and bone mass. When you go through chemotherapy and/or radiation, the risks of osteoporosis and fractures increase due to bone loss.

For individuals not comfortable or able to engage in resistance training, aerobic exercises, like jogging, cycling, swimming, or brisk walks, are a great way to get that oxygen flowing throughout your body! Aerobic exercises can help maintain your bone density, but higher-impact activities have a more positive effect on bone mass than lower impact aerobics.

Increase your exercise regimens slowly, especially if you are still in treatment or recovering from surgery. Always, always make sure you are cleared for physical activity from your doctor(s) before engaging in any type of exercise. It's essential to make sure that you listen to your body and stay hydrated.

Not every day is going to be a good day, and guess what? That's ok! If there are no ups and downs in your life, It means you are dead. A cancer diagnosis completely changes your mindset, and I'm here to help those battling through their toughest fight to see the silver lining, to embrace a more positive outlook on life!

~Rori Zura




And as always, If you are interested in becoming one of our featured guest writers, we'd love for you to join our community of bloggers! Reach out to Becca Canny at becca.vented@gmail.com.


                       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar

Written by: Chrisie Canny So, for those of you who know me and the fact that I met my husband in a bar in Brooklyn, you may be assuming what  Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar  is all about. And I am here (this time only) to tell you to get your minds out of the gutter. This is not a blog about the first time I had a drink in a bar…ha.., did you think I would say sex? Well…anyway… this is about the first time I finally let someone read my chapter in the Anthology Magnificently Made and very fittingly it happened in an Irish Bar, the old Irish Pub in AC to be exact. It’s also a story about the fear of being a writer and putting something out into the world for everyone to pick at and scrutinize. Let me go back over a year ago when my now publishers Jess and Jenn started posting on social media about how they had a dream of bringing 33 women together to write an Anthology. 33 women to share their journeys to help lift other women. Sounded like my cup of tea just by the description bu

That Time I...

That Time I Gave an Unexpected Performance… I remember feeling so cute on that picture-perfect summer day as I pulled on my red ‘skinny’ jeans and white button-down. I tied the outfit together with some darling turquoise jewelry pieces and matching heels. Girl, I was ready for some shopping! Perfect for Downtown Shopping!  My 11-year-old daughter and I set out leisurely, perusing the many stores along Steamboat’s historic Main Street; it felt magical. And it continued to be magical right up until my gorgeous Jessica Simpson heels met with a stray orange peel. I mean, I’d seen cartoon characters slip on banana peels before, but an orange peel? Who knew? And slip I did. Right down into a complete split (I was pretty flexible back then)! The slip/split successfully ripped my sexy red skinny jeans entirely from ass to crotch, dislodging one of my Jessica Simpsons and twisting my ankle in the process. Let me tell ya. It was beautiful! After a moment of shock, I looked up — only to see my da
I love the holidays! Turning the calendar page over to November fills my heart with love, thankfulness and excitement for the season ahead.The holidays are traditionally a time to express gratitude to those we love as we gather over a Thanksgiving meal and make shopping lists of people we want to remember with a card or gift of appreciation. This holiday spirit of thankfulness is the spirit I’ve tried to carry through my cancer journey every day of the year. When life is ugly, dark, painful and bleak, finding gratitude in the simplest things snaps me out of the dull drums replacing sadness with hope, positivity and healing. During cancer, I spent many days sitting on my patio in the early morning hours, in my pj’s, when the world was still, meditating, watching the sunrise, listening to the song of birds, watching the clouds, listening to the wind, looking at the flowers in my garden and reciting self-created personal affirmations. Not only did I enjoy nature but felt gratitude for my