Skip to main content

Hope Through Adversity

“All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.” ~ Walt Disney

If you’ve spent more than 2 minutes with me, you’re probably aware that I love Disney. Whether it’s my vast Disney wardrobe or the fact that I can connect any conversation with a Disney quote, it becomes clear pretty quickly that I’m a Disney fanatic. For many people, Disney is a kiddish way to spend 90 minutes every time a new movie comes out. They enjoy the film and move on with their lives, likely forgetting about Disney until the next movie trailer is released. Who has time to think about Disney in the middle of the busy, hectic realities of adulthood?

Me. Let me tell you why.

For me, Disney is so much more than a catchy song, a family vacation, or a quick trip to the movie theater. Disney embodies imagination, adventure, and the belief that there’s a “great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day.” When the realities of life nearly knock me down, there’s a soft, Mickey Mouse-shaped pillow to catch my fall (or at least soften the blow).

Disney was created on the cornerstones of dreaming and believing. It’s there to remind us that no matter our current situation, tomorrow holds new hope. Disney not only encourages us to believe in the power of our dreams, but empowers us to chase them. As the Happily Ever After fireworks show so perfectly states, “You are the key to unlocking your own magic. Now go. Let your dreams guide you.” Whether it’s Cinderella reminding me that nobody can “order me to stop dreaming,” Mulan teaching me that with adversity blooms beauty, or Remy prompting me to shift my focus from my past to my future, Disney consistently proves itself to be more than just fun and fanfare. Beneath the upbeat music and beautiful animation is a core lesson and the encouragement that I can control my own destiny. No matter how difficult life gets, I have the power to find my own “happily ever after.”

As everybody has, I’ve had a healthy scoop of adversity in my life. Growing up, my mother was very sick.
For nearly a decade, I had to watch her fight for her life. We had many hospital sleepovers and lonely nights before my mother was healthy enough to spend any significant time outside of the hospital. During this time, I also watched my father struggle with an addiction that held on with a strong grip. Eventually, the autoimmune struggles that I watched nearly take my mother found it’s way to me. Diagnosed at the age of 17, Guillain Barre, an autoimmune neuromuscular disease, wrecked my world. I went from being a college-scholarship soccer player to being wheelchair-bound within a month. With this came years of treatments, physical therapy, and medication to get my body to function even close to how a healthy body should. To this day, I still struggle with the physical impact this disease has had on my body. I say all of this not to invoke pity or sadness, but rather because I believe that every person reading this can find some commonalities between my story and their own. Everyone has faced hardships in life. Many of which I can relate with and many of which are beyond my life experience.

“What does this have to do with Disney?” you may ask. For me, Disney has consistently been a close friend. Someone to hold me in my sadness and show me the hope that remains in the world, even in the midst of life-shattering pain. My intent in this is not to push you to watch a Disney movie or book your next trip to Walt Disney World, but rather to encourage you to find your “Disney.” What is it that brings you joy? What simple pleasure can you turn to as a way to lift your spirits when adversity comes your way? Life is hard, and misfortune is often unavoidable. Find what makes your spirit soar, even when extra weight is added to your shoulders. Discover what it is that empowers you to chase your dreams and hold onto hope.

Maybe your “Disney” is Disney, or perhaps something completely different. Whatever it is, find it and hold onto it tightly. You never know when you may need it most.

~Chloe Clark
                                              Chloe and Chewbacca

                                              Chloe with dad, Tim...

                                             Chloe with Hubby, Hayden



You may connect with Chloe on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CBass9800 
or Instagram: @chloe.clark97

Give her a follow for inspiring and fun content! 



And as always, If you are interested in becoming one of our featured guest writers, we'd love for you to join our community of bloggers! Reach out to Becca Canny at becca.vented@gmail.com.


                        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar

Written by: Chrisie Canny So, for those of you who know me and the fact that I met my husband in a bar in Brooklyn, you may be assuming what  Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar  is all about. And I am here (this time only) to tell you to get your minds out of the gutter. This is not a blog about the first time I had a drink in a bar…ha.., did you think I would say sex? Well…anyway… this is about the first time I finally let someone read my chapter in the Anthology Magnificently Made and very fittingly it happened in an Irish Bar, the old Irish Pub in AC to be exact. It’s also a story about the fear of being a writer and putting something out into the world for everyone to pick at and scrutinize. Let me go back over a year ago when my now publishers Jess and Jenn started posting on social media about how they had a dream of bringing 33 women together to write an Anthology. 33 women to share their journeys to help lift other women. Sounded like my cup of tea just by the description bu

That Time I...

That Time I Gave an Unexpected Performance… I remember feeling so cute on that picture-perfect summer day as I pulled on my red ‘skinny’ jeans and white button-down. I tied the outfit together with some darling turquoise jewelry pieces and matching heels. Girl, I was ready for some shopping! Perfect for Downtown Shopping!  My 11-year-old daughter and I set out leisurely, perusing the many stores along Steamboat’s historic Main Street; it felt magical. And it continued to be magical right up until my gorgeous Jessica Simpson heels met with a stray orange peel. I mean, I’d seen cartoon characters slip on banana peels before, but an orange peel? Who knew? And slip I did. Right down into a complete split (I was pretty flexible back then)! The slip/split successfully ripped my sexy red skinny jeans entirely from ass to crotch, dislodging one of my Jessica Simpsons and twisting my ankle in the process. Let me tell ya. It was beautiful! After a moment of shock, I looked up — only to see my da
I love the holidays! Turning the calendar page over to November fills my heart with love, thankfulness and excitement for the season ahead.The holidays are traditionally a time to express gratitude to those we love as we gather over a Thanksgiving meal and make shopping lists of people we want to remember with a card or gift of appreciation. This holiday spirit of thankfulness is the spirit I’ve tried to carry through my cancer journey every day of the year. When life is ugly, dark, painful and bleak, finding gratitude in the simplest things snaps me out of the dull drums replacing sadness with hope, positivity and healing. During cancer, I spent many days sitting on my patio in the early morning hours, in my pj’s, when the world was still, meditating, watching the sunrise, listening to the song of birds, watching the clouds, listening to the wind, looking at the flowers in my garden and reciting self-created personal affirmations. Not only did I enjoy nature but felt gratitude for my