Skip to main content

Gender Euphoria



My name is Mac Craighead; I’m a nonbinary writer, event producer, editor, drag artist, and generally an all-around good person.

For a long time, I was deeply ashamed of my femininity. I grew up in what I can only describe as the Catholic, Midwestern equivalent to the fictional town of Arlen, Texas, from “King of the Hill” — conservative, for those of you who didn’t watch.

I remember visiting my cousins’ farmhouse and enduring games such as “Smear the Queer,” a sport played by straight-up beating up whoever couldn’t catch whatever ball was being thrown at them. I was the common “queer.” Every time I dropped that ball, my femininity was beaten out of me. “Can’t catch, what a girl, right?” I still think about my uncle’s snide remark to his wife, them giggling from the sideline.

Let’s flash forward. It would be a good fifteen years later that I finally discovered Brooklyn nightlife. When I eventually mustered up the balls (pun intended) to drag (pun also intended) myself to a queer bar for the first time, I discovered a world full of joy and diversity and above all else — people like me: dykes and fags and kings and queens and everything-in-betweens. Hell, before moving to Brooklyn back in 2011, I had never even seen anyone who could be described as gender non-conforming. My entire world bloomed.

Honestly, honestly, honestly, Drag performers make great role models, and the first time I ever saw a live Drag show — let me tell you; giiiirrrrll — these performers are confidence personified. You have never experienced confidence until you’ve seen someone jump off a 4-foot stage and land in the splits. And that split? I think that was the first time I had ever really forgotten to be ashamed. “YAAAAAAAS,” ruptured from between my lips, my fist throwing sweaty, crumpled-up dollars bills; I’m not worried about the pitch of my voice or the limp in my wrist. Gender euphoria.

By learning to express my queerness, I began to take a closer look at what gender meant to me. If the feminine is about more than pink and ponies and pregnancy, what is it about? For me, I guess, it was learning to unlearn — whatever it may be. I realized there were parts of myself with which I was too ashamed to have conversations. For the first time, I was considering not just wearing dresses, but more intangible things like crying or unabashedly falling in love with someone, not being afraid to shout it from the mountaintop, living life authentically.

I consider myself to be gender non-conforming. I resonate with my masculinity in my own way, and while I do not necessarily “feel like a woman inside,” — some of me actually does. And I love that part of me. I think everyone has and should love that part of themselves, whether masculine or feminine or otherwise. The power of authenticity can fuel so much in your life: creativity, ambition, sex, love, joy. Everyone, in every sense of the word, deserves to experience gender euphoria. So, if you’re reading this, I urge you to take a look in the mirror and ask yourself what it looks like for you. It looks different for everyone. Who is your most authentic self?





Thank you for being authentic with us, Mac!!

And as always, If you are interested in becoming one of our featured guest writers, we'd love for you to join our community of bloggers! Reach out to Becca Canny at becca.vented@gmail.com.


                   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Unless..”

  One of my favorite quotes comes from a simple children’s book. In Dr. Suess’ “The Lorax,” he says, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” This quote runs in my head as a constant life theme. I have a bit of a “save the world” complex, but as my students love to remind me, “Miss, the world is broken. There’s nothing we can do.” YIKES! That sounds pretty despairing.  Then I go back to  The Lorax  quote; if we all felt the world was beyond saving, it would be. Minor changes, little effort, and even the smallest steps are still going in the right direction. So, I am here to tell you how one average lady from Brooklyn is attempting to save the world.  In 2011 I had an idea to start a social fundraising initiative called  The Hero’s Benefit,  or THB as I so lovingly refer to it.  THB  was meant to be a response to the Extortion 17 crash, which killed 31 American Service Members and left 32 chi...

Life is Short, Lick the Spoon and Laugh...a Lot!

Christmas is almost here! I’m so excited! I absolutely love Christmas and everything about it. I do admit it comes with some stress like gift buying, wrapping, cooking, decorating, bills, work, parties...goodness, I stressed myself out just writing all that! This year I am having a stress-free Christmas. Y’all know I’m on a health and fitness journey and that is stressful enough without adding in the holidays. I have a spoon rest in the kitchen given to me by future daughter in law that says “Life is short, Lick the Spoon.” I’m going to live that this year. I’m not even going to pretend to eat healthy this week. I am going to unashamedly enjoy every single bite of holiday spirit I can shove in my mouth. It’s okay to do that, next week I’ll crawl out of my carb coma and get back to business. My mom is making my most favorite cake of all time: homemade red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting . I absolute refuse to eat red velvet cake from any shop, store and heaven forbid, a mix...

Why I Say Yes Without even Thinking

I hate this picture. And it’s not the fact that my hair is a mess and that I hadn’t learned about the magic of mascara. It’s that it reminds me of the night I said no to my Father. I said no to another dance at the Father-Daughter Dance. I hadn’t thought about this picture in about 18 years. And it’s been 18 years since my Dad passed away from cancer. It used to sit in his home. The photo got packed up in the move when my stepmom sold the house and then moved into storage and then given to my sister with a bunch of items, and then it sat in my sister’s closet for I don’t know how long….you get it...it’s been in hiding. During my sister’s Covid cleanup, this photo came back into my life. I unpacked the bag from my sister, unwrapped the photo, and found myself overcome with emotion and tears and sobbed and sobbed. Now as I said, Norman died 18 years ago, 18 years ago today to be exact. It’s amazing how in just one second, the emotion of losing a parent can come flooding back like it was ...