Skip to main content

For the Love of Food




When I think back to my favorite memories of time spent with loved ones, almost every one involves the preparation and/or sharing of a meal. Food was the central part of every celebration growing up and continues to be.

I am blessed to come from a family of close-knit women, not just my immediate family, but aunts and cousins as well. My mother grew up in a large cotton-farming family, and was especially close to her two sisters nearest in age – she swears its because they were forced to sleep together in a double bed their entire childhood! They were a family of limited means, but because they lived off the rich, fertile soil of the Texas Gulf Coast, good food was abundant and available. Working together to cultivate, harvest, and prepare food forged tight bonds that last to this day.

My childhood was filled with special occasions. We had (and still have) an annual family reunion at my aunt’s house in south Texas. The day of the reunion itself is wonderful, catching up with relatives whose names I sometimes forget, eating an endless variety of appetizers, salads, meats, and desserts, playing cards and volleyball and cornhole and horseshoes, but the real magic of the reunion is the days leading up to it. My mother and sisters (and now their daughters and granddaughters) meet, discuss, plan, and prepare a feast that could easily feed the state of Texas. And in the middle of all this, the real heart of it comes to light – true and lasting fellowship. It is a safe and sacred space. The same could be said for the weddings and funerals they have catered together, wedding showers and baby showers they have hosted. The “sisters”, as they have collectively been called, created, and passed down, a culture of true contentment, where the surroundings or events don’t matter as much as the companionship of those you love and care for most in the world.

Because we can’t get enough of each other, the women in my family started an annual “Girl’s Weekend” some years back. Each year during one long weekend in October, matriarchs and their daughters and granddaughters come from all over Texas, Florida, and Georgia to spend time together, play games, and of course, cook. We may eat out one meal during our time together, but for the most part we eat at the house, family groups rotating from year to year on which meal to prepare. We have been taught, and are teaching the next generation, there is nothing like a home cooked meal, one prepared with loved ones and shared together. Food is our love language, and around that common table, we hear old stories, news to be shared, and nourish our souls as much as our bodies. The effects of those treasured weekends last long after our brief communion, and each one of us returns home a better version of ourselves, ready to face the complexities of our daily lives.


In my own sphere, I have been granted the good fortune of enjoying the fellowship of girlfriends over a good meal. Several years ago, a group of ladies started a cooking club, the premise being that we would test out a cookbook, rotate hostess duties, and each month be responsible for bringing a different type of dish. We are now closing in on our 11th year together. On the fourth Thursday of every month, we come together to share a meal we’ve prepared, but end up sharing so much more. Over the course of a hundred meals, we have entrusted one other with our triumphs and trials, promotions and lay-offs, celebrations and heartbreaks. In other words, we’ve shared life together. There is truly something special that happens when you give yourself the time and space to nourish one another, both literally and figuratively.

The takeaway from all of this… find your people – family, friends, neighbors – and share your life with them – over a good meal, of course.



Carol Duarte is the owner of Boss Books, a full-service bookkeeping company. She enjoys cooking, reading, long walks, and spending time with her family. Carol lives in Richardson, Texas with her husband and children. You may connect with her on Facebook at facebook.com/carol.m.duarte1

The Duarte Family
Richardson, Texas


And as always, If you are interested in becoming one of our featured guest writers, we'd love for you to join our community of bloggers! Reach out to Becca Canny at becca.vented@gmail.com.


                       


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar

Written by: Chrisie Canny So, for those of you who know me and the fact that I met my husband in a bar in Brooklyn, you may be assuming what  Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar  is all about. And I am here (this time only) to tell you to get your minds out of the gutter. This is not a blog about the first time I had a drink in a bar…ha.., did you think I would say sex? Well…anyway… this is about the first time I finally let someone read my chapter in the Anthology Magnificently Made and very fittingly it happened in an Irish Bar, the old Irish Pub in AC to be exact. It’s also a story about the fear of being a writer and putting something out into the world for everyone to pick at and scrutinize. Let me go back over a year ago when my now publishers Jess and Jenn started posting on social media about how they had a dream of bringing 33 women together to write an Anthology. 33 women to share their journeys to help lift other women. Sounded like my cup of tea just by the description bu

That Time I...

That Time I Gave an Unexpected Performance… I remember feeling so cute on that picture-perfect summer day as I pulled on my red ‘skinny’ jeans and white button-down. I tied the outfit together with some darling turquoise jewelry pieces and matching heels. Girl, I was ready for some shopping! Perfect for Downtown Shopping!  My 11-year-old daughter and I set out leisurely, perusing the many stores along Steamboat’s historic Main Street; it felt magical. And it continued to be magical right up until my gorgeous Jessica Simpson heels met with a stray orange peel. I mean, I’d seen cartoon characters slip on banana peels before, but an orange peel? Who knew? And slip I did. Right down into a complete split (I was pretty flexible back then)! The slip/split successfully ripped my sexy red skinny jeans entirely from ass to crotch, dislodging one of my Jessica Simpsons and twisting my ankle in the process. Let me tell ya. It was beautiful! After a moment of shock, I looked up — only to see my da
I love the holidays! Turning the calendar page over to November fills my heart with love, thankfulness and excitement for the season ahead.The holidays are traditionally a time to express gratitude to those we love as we gather over a Thanksgiving meal and make shopping lists of people we want to remember with a card or gift of appreciation. This holiday spirit of thankfulness is the spirit I’ve tried to carry through my cancer journey every day of the year. When life is ugly, dark, painful and bleak, finding gratitude in the simplest things snaps me out of the dull drums replacing sadness with hope, positivity and healing. During cancer, I spent many days sitting on my patio in the early morning hours, in my pj’s, when the world was still, meditating, watching the sunrise, listening to the song of birds, watching the clouds, listening to the wind, looking at the flowers in my garden and reciting self-created personal affirmations. Not only did I enjoy nature but felt gratitude for my