Skip to main content

Care for Caregivers

 

If you're caring for an aging parent or facing the challenges of assisting a loved one or friend who is chronically ill, disabled, or elderly, you are not alone. You are one of the 22 million Americans who care for an older adult. Caregivers provide 80 percent of in-home care, but unlike nurses and home health aides, they are unpaid for their labor of love.

"Caregiving is a difficult job that can take a toll on relationships, jobs, and emotional well-being," says Dr. Elizabeth Clark, executive director of the National Association of Social Workers. "Those who care for others need to be sure to take care of themselves, as well."

Here are some essential tips for caregivers:


Don't Be Afraid to Ask For Help


We tend to wait until we are in crisis before asking for help and consultation. Seek out the help of a licensed clinical social worker or other trained professional.

It's Not Easy to Tell Your Parents What to Do

The most challenging thing about caring for a parent is the day you have to tell them they need help, can no longer drive, or they may need to move from their home. Discuss long-term care wishes and desires before a decline happens. Planning is so important!

Take Care of Your Mental Health


It is not unusual to feel frustrated with your loved ones when they refuse your input and help. Seek a referral to a professional who can help you cope.

Stay Informed

We live in a world of constant change. Medications and treatments are constantly changing, and the only way to stay up-to-date is to stay connected with your loved one's medical provider. Don't hesitate to ask questions. You can also monitor the news for relevant topics and attend local caregiver conferences, participate in support groups, speak with friends and relatives, and talk with professionals in gerontology and geriatrics.

Take a Time Out

Caregivers who experience burnout need to accept that occasionally, they may need a break to provide their loved one with the best care.

Laugh

Humor and laughter are tremendous healers. Try this video next time you need a good laugh.

Hire Help

If possible, you may want to hire help. The most important thing is to find trustworthy people to provide assistance. Use recommended home care agencies, talk with friends about their experiences, and interview professionals before deciding what is suitable for you and your loved one.

To all of my fellow caregivers out there, please know you are never alone! If you are feeling lost in this process, need guidance, or want to feel more prepared. Please contact me. I'd love to schedule a consultation call to assess your caregiver needs and assist you in developing your caregiver plan.

~Roz




Roz Jones is a dedicated caretaker turned CEO with over a decade of experience in helping families care for and make decisions for loved ones and their legacies.

She is a compassionate, innovative healthcare industry leader. Her goal is to make a difference in the lives of men, women and children. Through her extensive medical background, she realized the urgent need for quality health care in her area. In 2009, she put her experience to work opening Jacksonville’s Best Caregivers to provide short, long term and virtual in-home health care.

Roz’s experience doesn’t stop there. For more than 15 years, Roz has developed and facilitated trainings and built a strong community and network. She also serves as an advocate for those who need quality healthcare, crisis counseling, and healthcare intervention.

Visit Roz’s website to preview her book and learn more about her services at https://www.rozjonesent.com/

Follow her:

Instagram: @rozjonesenterprises





If you are interested in becoming one of our featured guest writers, we'd love for you to join our community of bloggers! Reach out to Becca Canny at becca.vented@gmail.com.


                        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar

Written by: Chrisie Canny So, for those of you who know me and the fact that I met my husband in a bar in Brooklyn, you may be assuming what  Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar  is all about. And I am here (this time only) to tell you to get your minds out of the gutter. This is not a blog about the first time I had a drink in a bar…ha.., did you think I would say sex? Well…anyway… this is about the first time I finally let someone read my chapter in the Anthology Magnificently Made and very fittingly it happened in an Irish Bar, the old Irish Pub in AC to be exact. It’s also a story about the fear of being a writer and putting something out into the world for everyone to pick at and scrutinize. Let me go back over a year ago when my now publishers Jess and Jenn started posting on social media about how they had a dream of bringing 33 women together to write an Anthology. 33 women to share their journeys to help lift other women. Sounded like my cup of tea just by the description bu

That Time I...

That Time I Gave an Unexpected Performance… I remember feeling so cute on that picture-perfect summer day as I pulled on my red ‘skinny’ jeans and white button-down. I tied the outfit together with some darling turquoise jewelry pieces and matching heels. Girl, I was ready for some shopping! Perfect for Downtown Shopping!  My 11-year-old daughter and I set out leisurely, perusing the many stores along Steamboat’s historic Main Street; it felt magical. And it continued to be magical right up until my gorgeous Jessica Simpson heels met with a stray orange peel. I mean, I’d seen cartoon characters slip on banana peels before, but an orange peel? Who knew? And slip I did. Right down into a complete split (I was pretty flexible back then)! The slip/split successfully ripped my sexy red skinny jeans entirely from ass to crotch, dislodging one of my Jessica Simpsons and twisting my ankle in the process. Let me tell ya. It was beautiful! After a moment of shock, I looked up — only to see my da

Letting Go of What does not Serve you

  On September 28, 2019, I drank my last sip of alcohol. Well, it wasn’t a sip. More like a bottle or two of wine. Truly, the amount doesn’t matter. What matters is that I was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole for decades. Alcohol was not serving me and I needed to let it go. At the time, I wasn’t aware it would be my last time drinking. But, as my anxiety surged through the night and crippled me throughout the next day, I finally decided I had enough. If you are fulfilled and happy with your alcoholic drinks of choice, this blog post may not resonate for you. I am not here to judge, diagnose, or preach to you. However, if you are a person that cannot understand why a highly addictive chemical depressant makes you feel like a trash human when everyone else is having so.much.fun…this IS for you. I needed posts like this 2 years ago when I felt like I was the only person on earth that felt that way. Spoiler alert - I am not. If you feel that way too - you are not alone. T