Skip to main content

Work in Progress



Becoming a mother and having a family was something I always hoped for. I have been blessed with a supportive husband, a family of my own, and a fulfilling career in education. However, I was not prepared for the difficulty of balancing being the best mother and most effective educator I could be.

After my first child Elizabeth arrived, I suffered from postpartum depression. The waves of depression and anxiety consumed me. I was drowning in worry and uncertainty. Would I not be able to take care of my baby correctly, would I not be able to keep the house clean, get the laundry done? Would I lose the job I had worked so hard for? Despite being on maternity leave, my biggest fear was the possibility of not being effective when I returned to the classroom. Once I was back on my feet, my days with my daughter were filled with laughter, loving moments, and milestones.

When I returned to the classroom, I was utterly overwhelmed. I had put so much pressure on myself to be the perfect wife, mother, and educator that the anxiety I felt after my first pregnancy began to creep back into my life. I began having moments of immense guilt due to the drastic changes in my daily routine. Things such as calling my parents to check-in or getting dinner on the table so everyone could eat together varied from week to week. It caused me so much stress and unnecessary personal ridicule.

Two years after my daughter was born, our son Steven arrived. At a young age, he began struggling educationally and socially. While maintaining a home, work, children, and relationships with my husband, friends, and family, I went from treading to drowning in both my personal and professional lives. The B12 supplements stopped helping me balance my moods and the Melatonin supplements only allotted me a few hours of sleep each night. In addition, work became more of a challenge for me. A new assistant principal was hired and had me rethinking my career choice. The staff and I dealt with daily harassment, criticism, and manipulation, three factors that complicated my already fragile emotional and mental state. Though I received glowing evaluations year in and year out from my principal, I felt my performance in the classroom was suffering due to the unsupportive environment I was working in.

A few years after getting my son on track, my daughter hit puberty. Her grades began to slip, and she was always angry and sad. Elizabeth slowly began to remove herself from spending time with friends and family. My husband and I chalked her behavior up to teenage angst, but there was something more serious going on. Soon after having her evaluated, Liz was diagnosed with depression and social anxiety. I began absorbing much of how Liz felt during this transitional time in her life. My husband and I had her working with professionals, where she learned the coping mechanisms to manage her emotions. During this time, I had hit rock bottom. I was doing much of what Liz did before her diagnosis. I did not want to go to work. I did not want to be around my family or friends. I cut myself off from those who loved me most. I lacked drive, motivation, and passion for everything important to me.

We do not receive a parenting handbook when we are on the way home from the hospital. We do our best as we navigate the rough waters. I tend to think that many of us, myself included, find ourselves in tough times while working full time and jumping life's many hurdles. In retrospect, I figured out that my uneasiness consumed me because of the expectations I put on myself, as many working mothers do. We try to be Wonder Woman, but is that our reality? You're bound to break a few plates while you're spinning ten at a time. Working and parenting are about experience and finding balance. Once I realized this, I made adjustments to my life and let go of those expectations I held for myself. I began speaking to a therapist who reassured me I was not going crazy but was overloaded due to my vision of myself as a mother and teacher. She told me to carve time out for myself each day, whether it be exercising, taking a walk, or listening to music. What I took away from those sessions was the realization that the roles I played could not be scripted, that I needed to accept what was thrown my way each day and deal with the issue at hand instead of worrying about what could happen tomorrow. My last "aha moment" was realizing I needed to separate my family time from work. Teaching is not a job that ends when the bell rings. It is a job that you take home, whether worrying about a student's well-being, making phone calls home, planning lessons, projects, or trips, or making and grading assessments. Keeping home life separated from work life required sacrificing on my part. It meant not opening my bookbag until my children were tucked away in bed for the night. It meant more extended hours and less sleep, but it was worth it because my time with my children took precedence over everything else. It allowed me to enjoy my time with them instead of becoming frustrated because I was being pulled in different directions while trying to get work done for school. My anxiety and stress level lowered by making these simple changes in my life. I slowly found myself again. That was the biggest and best gift I gave myself and my family.

My advice to every working mother is to stop being so hard on yourself. Do not set goals for yourself that are not attainable. It will lead to disappointment and feelings of failure. There is no one size fits all way of balancing work and being a mother. Ultimately, we are all works in progress. It is okay to leave unfolded laundry on the couch or dishes in the sink. Your floors will be washed, eventually. Multitasking is very overrated and depletes your energy. Stop and watch your children experience things for the first time and revel in those moments. Make memories. Most importantly, set aside time to take care of yourself without guilt. A ten-minute drive blasting your favorite music does wonders for your soul!

I was very hard on my younger self because I was looking to please everyone and hear what a good job I was doing. I compared myself to other mothers and tried to be someone I was not. Our journeys may be very different, but what binds us is motherhood. Take care of yourself so you can be the best version of yourself for your children. Even when the walls are high, and your spirits are low, let me assure you that you can do this. One of my favorite quotes was shared with me by my twenty-one-year-old daughter. It describes motherhood in the simplest form:

"To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power." —Maya Angelou
*This essay was originally published on jobs.mom on March 12, 2021



Jennifer Belford grew up and lives in Staten Island, NY with her husband of twenty-five years, two children, and their yellow labrador retriever. Over her twenty-one year career in education, she has worked in special education, taught fourth grade and is currently an eighth grade homeroom and junior high science teacher. In her spare time she enjoys reading, scrapbooking, gardening, and appreciating the little things she once took for granted.

You may connect with Jen on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/jbelford
or on Instagram @jenn42




And as always, If you are interested in becoming one of our featured guest writers, we'd love for you to join our community of bloggers! Reach out to Becca Canny at becca.vented@gmail.com.


                        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar

Written by: Chrisie Canny So, for those of you who know me and the fact that I met my husband in a bar in Brooklyn, you may be assuming what  Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar  is all about. And I am here (this time only) to tell you to get your minds out of the gutter. This is not a blog about the first time I had a drink in a bar…ha.., did you think I would say sex? Well…anyway… this is about the first time I finally let someone read my chapter in the Anthology Magnificently Made and very fittingly it happened in an Irish Bar, the old Irish Pub in AC to be exact. It’s also a story about the fear of being a writer and putting something out into the world for everyone to pick at and scrutinize. Let me go back over a year ago when my now publishers Jess and Jenn started posting on social media about how they had a dream of bringing 33 women together to write an Anthology. 33 women to share their journeys to help lift other women. Sounded like my cup of tea just by the description bu

That Time I...

That Time I Gave an Unexpected Performance… I remember feeling so cute on that picture-perfect summer day as I pulled on my red ‘skinny’ jeans and white button-down. I tied the outfit together with some darling turquoise jewelry pieces and matching heels. Girl, I was ready for some shopping! Perfect for Downtown Shopping!  My 11-year-old daughter and I set out leisurely, perusing the many stores along Steamboat’s historic Main Street; it felt magical. And it continued to be magical right up until my gorgeous Jessica Simpson heels met with a stray orange peel. I mean, I’d seen cartoon characters slip on banana peels before, but an orange peel? Who knew? And slip I did. Right down into a complete split (I was pretty flexible back then)! The slip/split successfully ripped my sexy red skinny jeans entirely from ass to crotch, dislodging one of my Jessica Simpsons and twisting my ankle in the process. Let me tell ya. It was beautiful! After a moment of shock, I looked up — only to see my da

Letting Go of What does not Serve you

  On September 28, 2019, I drank my last sip of alcohol. Well, it wasn’t a sip. More like a bottle or two of wine. Truly, the amount doesn’t matter. What matters is that I was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole for decades. Alcohol was not serving me and I needed to let it go. At the time, I wasn’t aware it would be my last time drinking. But, as my anxiety surged through the night and crippled me throughout the next day, I finally decided I had enough. If you are fulfilled and happy with your alcoholic drinks of choice, this blog post may not resonate for you. I am not here to judge, diagnose, or preach to you. However, if you are a person that cannot understand why a highly addictive chemical depressant makes you feel like a trash human when everyone else is having so.much.fun…this IS for you. I needed posts like this 2 years ago when I felt like I was the only person on earth that felt that way. Spoiler alert - I am not. If you feel that way too - you are not alone. T