Skip to main content

Giving into GRACE

I am falling, my arms and legs are flailing and I realize that I am about to die. The air rushes around my body, and I am gripped by the horrifying realization that the ground grows closer beneath me every second. I tell myself that it will all be over soon. A startling jolt rocks my body, and I hit my mattress. I am awake, gasping. I run my hands over my sheets and blanket, grateful for their reassuring softness and warmth. I console myself by saying, “it was only a nightmare.” This recurring nightmare began to make me dread sleep. Why was I constantly dreaming about falling/dying? After some deep reflection, I began to truly understand why and where this nightmare originated.

The nightmare was a wake-up call from my subconscious. It was time for me to take a long hard look at myself. I had given up on myself and my happiness nearly 20 years earlier. My soul and spirit had been taking a beating, and I had stopped fighting back. I found myself working up to my second divorce in my late forties thanks to deceit and alcoholism (his, not mine). My first marriage ended after five years when he left me a single mom to two beautiful children. That all sounds terrible, but worse still, I honestly forgot my happiness, physical and emotional health. I had gained more than 100 extra pounds. Every part of me screamed from the physical and emotional pain I felt. 

Twenty-plus years? Why did I let myself continue to suffer and prevent my happiness? Why did I treat myself so badly and be okay with it? The truth was, I could not, and the recurring nightmare was my reminder that I should not. I decided to give into grace and heed the message the nightmare and my subconscious were sending me. What changes did I want to make to achieve happiness? As I neared the end of my 48th year, I determined that by my 50th birthday, I would be divorced from my second husband, and I would shed the extra 100 lbs. I had gained. 

These decisions and goals were not going to be realized easily. I had put off filing for divorce for ten years even though we’d been living separate lives since 2011. I also had no idea how I would lose 100 lbs.  I felt wretched and scared yet very determined all the same. Once I make up my mind to accomplish something, nothing gets in my way. I accepted that it took me a long time to decide to make the changes I needed to make, but I decided.

Fast forward to June 2021, and I’m 50 (51 next month) years young, happily divorced, and yes, 100 pounds lighter. I can look in the mirror with self-love and conviction. I always believed in myself, but at some point, I had lost sight of myself! I shared my story to support anyone out there who might be drowning with life or situations they are experiencing. Let my story remind you that you are worth the effort, you are amazing, and most importantly, you deserve to be happy. It is okay to fall, to err, and even to forget yourself. Don’t waste precious time remaining in that bad space as I did. Plan a way to course-correct and treat your whole self like the rare gem you are!

I still get nightmares, but they are not as frightening anymore because I had given into grace.


                                                     Andrea Before



Andrea Today


If you are interested in participating in our Vented Uplift Community Blog as a guest writer, please reach out to Becca at becca.vented@gmail.com
                                                            



CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR BEAUTIFUL 'GRACE' AROMATHERAPY POWER WORD BRACELET




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar

Written by: Chrisie Canny So, for those of you who know me and the fact that I met my husband in a bar in Brooklyn, you may be assuming what  Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar  is all about. And I am here (this time only) to tell you to get your minds out of the gutter. This is not a blog about the first time I had a drink in a bar…ha.., did you think I would say sex? Well…anyway… this is about the first time I finally let someone read my chapter in the Anthology Magnificently Made and very fittingly it happened in an Irish Bar, the old Irish Pub in AC to be exact. It’s also a story about the fear of being a writer and putting something out into the world for everyone to pick at and scrutinize. Let me go back over a year ago when my now publishers Jess and Jenn started posting on social media about how they had a dream of bringing 33 women together to write an Anthology. 33 women to share their journeys to help lift other women. Sounded like my cup of tea just by the description bu

That Time I...

That Time I Gave an Unexpected Performance… I remember feeling so cute on that picture-perfect summer day as I pulled on my red ‘skinny’ jeans and white button-down. I tied the outfit together with some darling turquoise jewelry pieces and matching heels. Girl, I was ready for some shopping! Perfect for Downtown Shopping!  My 11-year-old daughter and I set out leisurely, perusing the many stores along Steamboat’s historic Main Street; it felt magical. And it continued to be magical right up until my gorgeous Jessica Simpson heels met with a stray orange peel. I mean, I’d seen cartoon characters slip on banana peels before, but an orange peel? Who knew? And slip I did. Right down into a complete split (I was pretty flexible back then)! The slip/split successfully ripped my sexy red skinny jeans entirely from ass to crotch, dislodging one of my Jessica Simpsons and twisting my ankle in the process. Let me tell ya. It was beautiful! After a moment of shock, I looked up — only to see my da
I love the holidays! Turning the calendar page over to November fills my heart with love, thankfulness and excitement for the season ahead.The holidays are traditionally a time to express gratitude to those we love as we gather over a Thanksgiving meal and make shopping lists of people we want to remember with a card or gift of appreciation. This holiday spirit of thankfulness is the spirit I’ve tried to carry through my cancer journey every day of the year. When life is ugly, dark, painful and bleak, finding gratitude in the simplest things snaps me out of the dull drums replacing sadness with hope, positivity and healing. During cancer, I spent many days sitting on my patio in the early morning hours, in my pj’s, when the world was still, meditating, watching the sunrise, listening to the song of birds, watching the clouds, listening to the wind, looking at the flowers in my garden and reciting self-created personal affirmations. Not only did I enjoy nature but felt gratitude for my