Skip to main content

Essential Oils: A Song of Synchronicity and Harmony



Sarah, my 18-year-old daughter, came home from work early today with a terrible stomach ache, vomiting, and severe nausea. When I found her, the poor darling was curled up in the fetal position and laying in bed. She was miserable. As a caring mom, I wanted to help her in the best way possible. Did I run for the Pepto? Did I dash for the Immodium?
No, I sprinted for peppermint oil.

In a case of nausea without vomiting, I would have made a cup of peppermint tea, but instead, I handed her my small bottle of peppermint essential oil with instructions to take deep inhalations. Additionally, I combined peppermint oil with a carrier oil (oil used to dilute the essential oil) and had her apply it topically on her stomach and lower GI areas.

Guess What??! It worked like magic! After about 30 minutes, she was sitting up in bed, fully relieved of nausea and cramping, amazed at what the oil had done for her ailment.

“Peppermint is wonderful for nausea,” says Lauren Richter, DO. Its calming and numbing effect relaxes your stomach muscles. Menthol and methyl salicylate, the main ingredients in peppermint, have antispasmodic effects and soothes the digestive tract.”

There have been many cases like this in our home. I reach for lavender oil for stress headaches, and for colds and flu, I generally use lemon, lavender, or eucalyptus. When I suffer from insomnia, I use an eye pillow infused with lavender to foster relaxation and sleep, along with a diffuser with Lavender. It works every time.

AND YES, I LOVE LAVENDER!

The possible combinations of uses of oils are practically inexhaustible. I haven’t yet found a common ailment essential oils do not help. And their help extends far beyond the physical to include emotional and spiritual benefits as well.


What are Essential Oils?

Essential oils are concentrated plant extracts and are ‘essential’ because they contain the “essence” of the plant’s fragrance. Essential oils are obtained through distillation (via steam or water) or mechanical methods, such as cold pressing. Once the aromatic chemicals are extracted, they are combined with a carrier oil to create a product that’s ready for use. The way the oils are made matters a lot, as essential oils obtained through chemical processes are not considered essential oils.

Essential Oils work in harmony with our bodies to promote holistic wellness. We at Vented in Brooklyn have seen firsthand the benefits of essential oils with customers or gift recipients who have used our products. Our signature aromatherapy bracelet provides comfort and relieves stress by having the oils attached right to the wrist, making it easy just to lift and sniff.

We’ve seen many other benefits over the years as well. Here are a few quotes from some of our dear customers:

“The Vented in Brooklyn aromatherapy power bracelets are a great reminder to PAUSE, focus on the POWER WORD (in my case “BREATHE”), and take deep, slow breaths.”

“Once, I found a panic attack coming on, and I am so thankful I was wearing my Vented in Brooklyn aromatherapy power bracelet! I simply lifted my wrist to my nose and breathed in the essence of lavender. The smell brought me back years to the bath salts my mom would use for me. I instantly relaxed in that beautiful memory and was able to escape my anxious thoughts.”

“Vented in Brooklyn’s aromatherapy power bracelets have helped me endure many a stinky, congested NYC bus ride! Despite all the commotion around me, the fragrance allows me to relax and focus my thoughts, so I am not so overwhelmed.”


A Brief History of Essential Oils

The use of essential oils for health and wellness traces back thousands of years. Early Egyptian, Chinese, and Indian cultures recognized the physical and psychological benefits of scented ointments and oils.

The distillation of oils can be traced back to the Persians in the 10th century. And Hippocrates, known as the father of modern medicine, said, “The key to good health rests on having a daily aromatic bath and scented massage.” These ancient cultures recognized the incredible benefits of scented ointments and oils and have passed their wisdom down through the ages.


What is Aromatherapy?

Aromatherapy refers to the inhalation and topical application of true, authentic essential oils from aromatic plants to restore or enhance vibrance, beauty, and overall well-being. The field of aromatherapy activity is quite broad, ranging from the deep and penetrating therapeutic actions of essential oils to the extreme subtlety of fragrance on the psyche.

The inhalation of aromatic molecules affects us on various levels – physical, emotional, and spiritual. When inhaled, aromatic molecules enter the nasal passages, stimulate olfactory receptor sites, and trigger nerve messages to the limbic center brain. (The limbic area of the brain, also called the old brain, is thought to have evolved more than 70 million years ago. The limbic system is the part of the brain involved in our behavioral and emotional responses and long-term memory, especially when it comes to behaviors we need for survival.)

Essential Oil inhalation stimulates physiological responses within the body via the nervous, endocrine, and immune systems, affecting sensations of pleasure, pain centers of the brain, emotions, memory, sleep, appetite, and sex
.

There are various methods to inhale essential oils. Here are a few:

  • Take deep breaths directly from the bottle
  • Use of an oil diffuser (you can find one on Amazon here)
  • Dry Evaporation: Put a few drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and smell the aroma as it disperses.
  • Steam Inhalation: Put a few drops of essential oil in a bowl of hot water. Put your head over the bowl, a towel over your head, and breathe in the steam.

Vented in Brooklyn’s beautiful aromatherapy Riser bracelet


What are some topical methods of using essential oils?

When used topically (on the skin), in a suitable dilution, essential oils have a myriad of applications for health, beauty, and well-being. Besides being used in massage and for skincare, they are also beneficial as first aid remedies. Many oils have anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. These oils are helpful for flu, colds, sinusitis prevention, and general strengthening of the immune system:
  • Tea Tree
  • Eucalyptus
  • Cajeput

Anti-inflammatory properties can be found in the following oils and help treat pain and swelling due to
injury or sore muscles:
  • Thyme
  • Clove
  • Rose
  • Eucalyptus
  • Fennel
However you use essential oils, you are certain to gain benefit. I hope this blog post has encouraged you to reach for the oils you love in your time of need!


-Becca Canny

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar

Written by: Chrisie Canny So, for those of you who know me and the fact that I met my husband in a bar in Brooklyn, you may be assuming what  Fitting, My First Was in an Irish Bar  is all about. And I am here (this time only) to tell you to get your minds out of the gutter. This is not a blog about the first time I had a drink in a bar…ha.., did you think I would say sex? Well…anyway… this is about the first time I finally let someone read my chapter in the Anthology Magnificently Made and very fittingly it happened in an Irish Bar, the old Irish Pub in AC to be exact. It’s also a story about the fear of being a writer and putting something out into the world for everyone to pick at and scrutinize. Let me go back over a year ago when my now publishers Jess and Jenn started posting on social media about how they had a dream of bringing 33 women together to write an Anthology. 33 women to share their journeys to help lift other women. Sounded like my cup of tea just by the description bu

That Time I...

That Time I Gave an Unexpected Performance… I remember feeling so cute on that picture-perfect summer day as I pulled on my red ‘skinny’ jeans and white button-down. I tied the outfit together with some darling turquoise jewelry pieces and matching heels. Girl, I was ready for some shopping! Perfect for Downtown Shopping!  My 11-year-old daughter and I set out leisurely, perusing the many stores along Steamboat’s historic Main Street; it felt magical. And it continued to be magical right up until my gorgeous Jessica Simpson heels met with a stray orange peel. I mean, I’d seen cartoon characters slip on banana peels before, but an orange peel? Who knew? And slip I did. Right down into a complete split (I was pretty flexible back then)! The slip/split successfully ripped my sexy red skinny jeans entirely from ass to crotch, dislodging one of my Jessica Simpsons and twisting my ankle in the process. Let me tell ya. It was beautiful! After a moment of shock, I looked up — only to see my da
I love the holidays! Turning the calendar page over to November fills my heart with love, thankfulness and excitement for the season ahead.The holidays are traditionally a time to express gratitude to those we love as we gather over a Thanksgiving meal and make shopping lists of people we want to remember with a card or gift of appreciation. This holiday spirit of thankfulness is the spirit I’ve tried to carry through my cancer journey every day of the year. When life is ugly, dark, painful and bleak, finding gratitude in the simplest things snaps me out of the dull drums replacing sadness with hope, positivity and healing. During cancer, I spent many days sitting on my patio in the early morning hours, in my pj’s, when the world was still, meditating, watching the sunrise, listening to the song of birds, watching the clouds, listening to the wind, looking at the flowers in my garden and reciting self-created personal affirmations. Not only did I enjoy nature but felt gratitude for my