Skip to main content

A Good Night to Be Alive

This is what I want you to do: tell someone you love them, and dinner's at six. That's the tagline from one of my favorite memoirs on food and entertaining, Bread and Wine, by Shauna Neiquist and this, I believe, is where the good stuff is found.

In 2011, I went to visit my grandma in California for the last time. Each morning I’d drive to the hospital, and then each afternoon, I’d walk back out into the parking lot—the one with the little rose garden--and all I ever wanted to do after a day spent there, with its beeping machines gray hospital beds, and smells of plastic, was to gather friends around a big table and pass heaping bowls of food. To eat and drink and laugh into the fading evening light and celebrate—well, nothing more than simply being alive. In fact, it’s the first thing I did when I got home. A call went out to friends, and just like that we were on my deck back in Colorado, filling glasses of wine and eating grilled salmon with lemons and arugula and parmesan salad, talking about what a gift it was to be doing it.

I love to celebrate. To gather people around my table and deck. To eat simple and stylish food and talk. Every time I do it, I think “this is the good life right here. This is where it’s at.”
I host the most in Summer. When the sun stays up and the strawberries are ripe, with late nights and fire pits, cold cocktails, and kids running wild. That’s my favorite. I like to make intentional space for this type of gathering simply because I can.

Last summer, I asked a few girlfriends over early for French rose and watermelon salsa. My friend Danielle’s mom Kathy had given me the recipe almost twenty years ago, and it’s still a favorite. That evening, we chatted and scooped and clinked glasses until our husbands came looking for us. When they did, we invited them to join, and soon our “girls night” had turned into eight adults plus kids. Salsa bowl empty, we ordered pizzas for dinner while someone pulled out a guitar.

It was a good night to be alive.

                        




Kathy’s Famous Watermelon Salsa

Serves 4


4 cups seedless watermelon, diced

1/2 cup diced green onion

1 1/2 cups diced green bell peppers

3 TBSP freshly squeezed lime juice

3-4 TBSP diced pickled jalapeno (more if desired)

1/3 cup chopped cilantro

Salt and pepper, to taste


Mix ingredients together and refrigerate until cold, 2-4 hours. Can be made the night before.


~Krysta MacGray



 ~Please check out Krysta's Instagram for more delicious recipes and lifestyle tips~ 


~If you are interested in becoming one of our featured guest writers, we'd love for you to join our community of bloggers! Reach out to Becca Canny at becca.vented@gmail.com.



www.ventedinbrooklyn.com

filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler filler 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Unless..”

  One of my favorite quotes comes from a simple children’s book. In Dr. Suess’ “The Lorax,” he says, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” This quote runs in my head as a constant life theme. I have a bit of a “save the world” complex, but as my students love to remind me, “Miss, the world is broken. There’s nothing we can do.” YIKES! That sounds pretty despairing.  Then I go back to  The Lorax  quote; if we all felt the world was beyond saving, it would be. Minor changes, little effort, and even the smallest steps are still going in the right direction. So, I am here to tell you how one average lady from Brooklyn is attempting to save the world.  In 2011 I had an idea to start a social fundraising initiative called  The Hero’s Benefit,  or THB as I so lovingly refer to it.  THB  was meant to be a response to the Extortion 17 crash, which killed 31 American Service Members and left 32 chi...

Life is Short, Lick the Spoon and Laugh...a Lot!

Christmas is almost here! I’m so excited! I absolutely love Christmas and everything about it. I do admit it comes with some stress like gift buying, wrapping, cooking, decorating, bills, work, parties...goodness, I stressed myself out just writing all that! This year I am having a stress-free Christmas. Y’all know I’m on a health and fitness journey and that is stressful enough without adding in the holidays. I have a spoon rest in the kitchen given to me by future daughter in law that says “Life is short, Lick the Spoon.” I’m going to live that this year. I’m not even going to pretend to eat healthy this week. I am going to unashamedly enjoy every single bite of holiday spirit I can shove in my mouth. It’s okay to do that, next week I’ll crawl out of my carb coma and get back to business. My mom is making my most favorite cake of all time: homemade red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting . I absolute refuse to eat red velvet cake from any shop, store and heaven forbid, a mix...

Why I Say Yes Without even Thinking

I hate this picture. And it’s not the fact that my hair is a mess and that I hadn’t learned about the magic of mascara. It’s that it reminds me of the night I said no to my Father. I said no to another dance at the Father-Daughter Dance. I hadn’t thought about this picture in about 18 years. And it’s been 18 years since my Dad passed away from cancer. It used to sit in his home. The photo got packed up in the move when my stepmom sold the house and then moved into storage and then given to my sister with a bunch of items, and then it sat in my sister’s closet for I don’t know how long….you get it...it’s been in hiding. During my sister’s Covid cleanup, this photo came back into my life. I unpacked the bag from my sister, unwrapped the photo, and found myself overcome with emotion and tears and sobbed and sobbed. Now as I said, Norman died 18 years ago, 18 years ago today to be exact. It’s amazing how in just one second, the emotion of losing a parent can come flooding back like it was ...